I needed a tripod for my DSLR and mobile phone so that I can make some long videos. I was looking for something under 1000 INR (~15 USD). After going through a lot of suggestions and reviews available on the web, I finally decided on this. It was available on Amazon for INR 699 (~10 USD).
After unboxing it, when I held it in my hand, it felt very light. I wasn’t sure if it would be able to hold a DSLR. The build quality seemed average on first look. Overall, my first impression was, “Its not going to work for me”.
I wanted a tripod for recording videos of my daughter
- Playing the piano
- Sketching and colouring
- Crafts and other activities
After I tried it out, here’s the good things and the things that I wasn’t satisfied with as per my requirements.
- It’s ok for a mobile tripod. The accompanying phone holder is ok. It should be able to hold phones of different sizes. The holder can be attached in 2 configurations, and should be able to cover almost any orientation.
- The quick release clasp is a good feature, which allows you to detach your mobile or camera from the tripod instantaneously.
- Good for shooting videos with phones and DSLRs in upright position, as displayed in the above photo.
- Light weight, and portable.
- The height of the tripod I felt is too less for certain situations, especially if you want to shoot videos of your table top (for recording crafts, drawings, sketches etc).
- The gorilla tripod, described as “Heavy Duty” is quite an exaggeration. For mobile phones and action cameras, it is fine, but it definitely is not sturdy enough for DSLRs, even for the lightest of the lenses, although it advertises to support cameras upto 1 Kg.
- It is not stable when you want to record videos from various angles, apart from the upright position.
- The flexible joints on the legs seems to be of average build, and I have a feeling that they won’t last long. But, I guess I have to wait a little longer before I can give a verdict.
The Tygot 13 inch Flexible Gorillapod Tripod is definitely not suitable for DSLRs. For mobile phones and action cameras, this is a good option only if you want to record videos in upright position, for example, doing interviews, shooting sceneries and outdoors etc.
This is a very basic tripod. So, I might have to spend a few more bucks to find a better one for my needs.